In this episode, I get to chat with Shawn Stevenson, the author of “Sleep Smarter” and the host of The Model Health Show podcast.
Listen to the show here:
Or tune in on iTunes (episode 109):
I’ve stated this before and I still stand by this – I feel that sleep deprivation is one of the most understated effects of new parenthood. We experienced this with our daughter who’s now 2 years old. And now, being a new parent to our 6 week old son, the challenge is still real when it comes to getting enough and/or good quality sleep. And that’s the reason I wanted to bring on today’s guest!
The guest – Shawn Stevenson
Shawn Stevenson is a husband and a dad of 3, their youngest being 5 years old. His background is in biology and kinesiology and he’s worked with private individuals as well as with organizations on the topics of health, fitness and general well-being for more than a decade.
He’s the host of The Model Health Show podcast, which is #1 Health podcast on iTunes and also a bestselling author of “Sleep Smarter. 21 Essential strategies to sleep your way to a better body, better health, and bigger success.”
I can’t think of a better person to talk to about new parents and sleep habits and strategies!
Topics we’ll get into:
- Shawn’s views on work-life balance
- Importance of self-care as a parent
- How sleep or sleeplessness affects our hormone balance and overall health
- The myth of everyone needing 7-8 hours of sleep a night (spoiler: it’s not all about the quantity, but also the quality of sleep)
- What are sleep cycles and the 4 stages of sleep
- Why having a drink before hitting the hay may be counter-productive
- Risks of chronic sleep deprivation
- “Paying back” the sleep debt vs lifestyle strategies to avoid the sleep debt in the first place
- Using melatonin supplements
Shawn Stevenson on sleep and new parenthood:
The Model Health Show podcast
The “Sleep Smarter” book
Shawn’s recent episode “Paying Off Sleep-Debt, The Truth About Naps, And Sleep Tips For Parents”
“Keep your sanity as a new dad” video course (Coupon: BNFPODCAST for 50% off): BrandNewFather.com/sanity
NB! Join the private FB group for new dads!
P.S. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it with a fellow soon-to-be or a new dad. That’s the best compliment you can give me and the show!